Listen, no matter what your fave youtuber/”health guru” says, the following things are absolute bullshit:
- Juice cleanses do not do anything health-wise! Except probably lead to you getting insufficient calories for the duration! There is nothing to “cleanse”, because…
- Your body does not have a “build up of toxins” you can detox away. Either your liver and kidneys are sorting shit out, or you’re experiencing severe health problems and should see a doctor. In particular, the idea you have a build up of heavy metal in your cells is ABSURD. Trust me. You’d know. “Toxins” is a word with no legal definition which is therefore not monitored in advertising. It means nothing.
- Detox/weight loss teas are just mild laxatives. I wish people would stop advertising these things. I know we’re all broke and want that sponsership, but they’re not good things.
- Something being vegan, gluten-free, “all natural”, etc. does not mean it cannot be bad for you. It does not necessarily mean it is better for you. It just means… it is those things.
- If you ingest more of a nutrient than your body needs, the rest is wasted. It isn’t used by the body. Unless you have a vitamin deficiency, taking supplements is useless. And expensive.
- Oh, and for the record, it’s not dangerous but you don’t need “eight glasses of water a day”. A lot of water comes from the food you eat. Also, any liquid that isn’t as strong a diuretic as, say, alcohol? Works to hydrate you. I mean, staying hydrated is good, but the eight glasses a day thing isn’t true. Just drink when you need water.
THANK YOU FOR THIS. I WAS JUST FIGHTING MY FRIEND ABOUT THIS THE OTHER DAY.
I know people who (try) drinking at least a gallon of water a day and that honestly gives me anxiety.
Thank you. It annoys me to no end when people insist “all natural” or “unprocessed” food is better when it’s not always the case. Also, there is no such thing as unprocessed food; if you cut up/skin/cook that carrot, it’s been processed!